Sunday, July 22, 2012

An idea(s) in the works

The inside of my mind is a fireworks display of ideas!!!!

I'm fresh out of high school, SO thankful to have an opportunity to go out into my community and act on the plans and dreams that have been brewing in my mind for many years.

I have dabbled in so many different fields. I've wanted to be a Broadway star, a journalist, a professional ballet dancer. But something always seemed to get in the way. Somehow my mind wouldn't settle with these pursuits. With every activty I threw myself into, I always had this nagging thought in the back of my mind that I would be limiting myself if I was devoted to just one thing. I didn't want to be a labeled as just a dancer, although dancing is my favorite thing in the world. But I was so much more than just a dancer...by that I mean, I wanted so much more.

I am positively fascinated by Walt Disney and his noble endeavors. In his biography on Wikipedia, Walt is said to be a film producer, director, screenwriter, voice actor, animator, entrepreneur, entertainer, international icon, and philanthropist. That's A LOT of titles, and I love it! Walt was not limited at all. He was not an expert at everything. He was not a master artist or a famous actor, he wasn't a brilliant musician or a expert at film directing.....but he appreciated these talents in others and desired to showcase them.

Walt Disney once said:

"I was stumped one day when a little boy asked, 'Do you draw Mickey Mouse?' And I had to admit I do not draw anymore. 'Then do you think up all the jokes and ideas?' 'No,' I said. 'I don't do that.' Finally, he looked at me and said, 'Mr. Disney, just what do you do?' 'Well' I said, 'sometimes I think of myself as a little bee. I go from one area of the studio to another, and I gather pollen. I sort of stimulate everybody. I guess that's the job I do.'"

Oh boy! What an incredible role to play! What a wonderful job! That's exactly what I want to do for my career!

You see, if I could, I would do everything. I even considered taking up the trumpet the other day just to create that beautiful, jazzy sound. I know I can't do everything, but wouldn't it be sensational to bring the talents of millions of different people under one roof, encouraging them to intertwine their talents just like Walt did when he combined the music of Prokofiev with jolly animation in the animated short Peter and the Wolf? Just to be able to adminster that kind of artistic talent would be the greatest honor in the world!

I'm a strong believer that God puts people where he wants them when he wants them there. I live in a little suburd of Dallas, not close to the Disney studio or situated next to Disney Land or World. But, what does that matter? Walt by no means touched only those near him. He and his teams' creations had universal impact! I don't have to be in  California to make my contribution to Disney!

My immediate desire is to put together a documentary about recreating Walt Disney's America. I'm terribly saddened by the workings of our planet today, and I see so many redeeming qualities in the good of Disney. I by no means want to condemn anyone or want to judge the world as it is today. But I believe its high time that we roll up our sleeves and fight to give the world back its substance!

In Disney's Swiss Family Robinson, Ernst races on the back of an ostrich! What a witty, comical image...so clever! It seems as if the world has lost its gift at being clever. Let me rephrase that, the gift is there, the talent at creating clever, winsome concepts is there, it's just not being practiced. It's as simple as that.

I think it would be a beautiful thing to bring people in a community together who have their own special niche and start a sort of project in which everyone works together to bring back the old spirit that Walt Disney pioneered by creating good through their special talents. I by no means want to antiquate things. Walt was a die-hard supporter of the development of the world's potential in regard to technology, etc.

I still have so many unanswered questions in regards to what I intend to do with this project, but I'm excited about it because, above all, I think it would be very rewarding for everyone involved.

There is this boy I know from when I was in high school who had a spinal condition which made it very difficult for him to walk. He loved ventriloquism. Such a beautful art! He's my first candidate for this project. Wouldn't it be marvelous to give him the opportunity to showcase his talents to the world? I think people would be so attracted to that because it's different and brings hope.

I consider this project my way of giving back to Walt...a sort of "thank you" for his valiant efforts to leave this world better than he found it...a hopeful promise that, despite the lack of imagination our world is experiencing, some people are practicing it in hope that it will catch on.

I don't regard this world as unable to be rescued. I prefer to say that I live in a world that is off-track, temporarily out-of-order. I believe that if people regarded the world in this manner rather than viewing it as a lost cause, we would all work together to mend what's broken.  -liz
 Jiminy Cricket-image from here

1 comment:

  1. Wow..what an inspiration my sweet sissy!!! I am awed at both your ideas and your writing!!! Let the legacy continue!!! <3

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile!!!